The following bodies are to administrate and govern the Chair (extracted from UdG Rule of Chairs, approved in Government Council, session 2/04 2004).
Mr. Joaquim Meléndez (UdG)
Responsible for the activities of the Chair and the permanent connection between the University and the sponsor/s. The Director reports annually on the scientific activity and economic management of the Chair to the Joint Committee. The Chair Director is nominated by the Rector and must be a full-time permanent professor at UdG.
- To elaborate and execute the Annual Plan of Activities and the associated budget.
- To provide continuous information to the sponsors and to hold a permanent relationship with the Chair's Mixed Commission of Monitoring, the Chair's Assessment Council and all entities who might help develop and accomplish the objectives of the Chair.
- To manage risks and eventually elaborate a contingency plan.
- To detect new opportunities.
- To call the annual meeting with the Chair's Mixed Commission of Monitoring and to elaborate both the scientific and economic annual reports of the Chair to be delivered to the Commission. To present to the Commission the next Annual Plan of Activities and the associated budget.
- To call the annual meeting with the Assessment Council to evaluate the Annual Plan of Activities and the associated budget.
Dr. Jordi Ferrer (Secretary-General of the UdG)
Mr. Narcís Sastre (Girona City Council)
Mr. Carles Mulero (Girona City Council)
The Joint Committee is integrated by the Chair Director, plus one UdG representative nominated by the Rector and one representative for each of the sponsor entities. In the specific case of the Girona Smart City Chair the Joint Committee is equally constituted, having two representatives from the Girona Municipality.
- To safeguard the foundational spirit of the Chair and, if necessary, to expand, delete or modify the objectives of the Chair, with the sole aim of guaranteeing a permanent update according to social, economical, and technological requirements. If the described is the case, the proposal of changing the objectives must be initiated by the Chair Director or by the whole Commission.
- To perceptively vote the Annual Plan of Activities, the associated budget, and the scientific and economic reports.
- If possible, the Commission will select a Secretary from amongst the researchers and the collaborators of the Chair. The Chair Secretary will support the Chair Director. In the case of the Chair Secretary not existing, the Director will assume the tasks.
Dr. Peter Nijkamp (VU University of Amsterdam)
Dr. Guang-Jie Ren (IBM Almaden Research Center, USA)
Mr. Jordi Puigneró (Secretary-General of Telecommunications, Catalan Government)
Mr. Manel Sanromà (Barcelona City Protocol, Municipality of Barcelona)
The Girona Smart City Chair will be assisted by an Advisory Board with, at least, four members. The members can be physical or jurisdictional and should have a recognized prestige in the subject of the Chair. The Advisory Board members will be nominated by the Rector at the initiative of the Joint Committee. The Board will advise the Director and will hold an annual meeting to assess the Annual Plan of Activities and the Budget.
According to the UdG Rule of Chairs, an Assessment Council has the following responsibilities:
- The main objective of the Council is to assess the Chair in those areas which can help develop its activity.
- The Assessment Council will hold an annual meeting which will be called by the Chair Director. The Chair Secretary, if it exists, or the Chair Director in its defect, will elaborate the minutes of the meeting.
- Depending on the subjects to be discussed and the geographical location of the Council's members, the Director can call a non-plenary meeting and/or conduct the session from a distance.